Thursday, 21 November 2013

Adventures: Poland - Krakow Day 1


 


Tartan Scarf - Primark
Fluffy Cropped Jumper - Topshop
Daisy Print Dress - Topshop

This is the outfit I wore for our first day in Krakow - as you can see it was an absolutely beautiful day. Our hostel was just off the main square so we started our morning with a look around the market before catching the bus to Auschwitz. I feel a bit weird including an outfit within this post, which you'll understand if you read below.

Our main reason for going to Krakow was to visit Auschwitz. I have always had an interest in World War history and have previously visited another concentration camp. I was rather nervous about going to Auschwitz as I didn't know what to expect, and I couldn't have been more sickened - but not in the way you'd expect. The whole concentration camp is a tourist hot spot (which I did sort of expect) but not in the way I witnessed it. I was so emotional walking round the larger of the two concentration camps, especially when it came to seeing the mass graves and gas chambers. The only picture I took there was the window below with the Poppy as I thought it had a very profound message especially considering the time of year we visited. The smaller concentration camp at Auschwitz had been turned into a museum which had some absolutely heart wrenching stories inside, and some completely sickening ones too. However I witnessed an American couple taking a picture under the 'Work Will Make You Free' sign and heard a large tour group talking loudly inside one of the gas chambers. I initially wasn't sure if I even wanted to go into the chambers and as soon as I did it made me feel sick to be in a room where tens of thousands of people had died a horrendous death. I just cannot get my head around why people had so little respect for what had happened on those grounds. 

Later that day we went for dinner at a Communist restaurant that had been family run since 1880. It had some very delicious pierogi (Polish dumplings) and the ceiling was painted like clouds which looked so cute. We had an early night ready for the next days adventures.
  








Email Me

6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about Auschwitz being touristy now, with one part turned into a café and a fast food shack outside of it. It really is an incredible experience x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just come back from Berlin and we went to the Holocaust museum. Heart breaking i cried three times I would love to visit Auschwitz for the history however I feel knowing that this is where mass genocide look place I would break down. Some of the diaries I read in the museum were so gut wrenching how can a group of humans kill in such a manner.
    ANYWAY can't wait to see more of your trip I'd love to visit Poland! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is somewhere I would love to visit one day. We were supposed to on on a History school trip once but we never made it which we were all a little sad about!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to visit there one day. It would be so emotional.

    But a lighter note..I like your outfit..the dress and jumper! and necklaces

    http://sarahlikesfashion.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so great to read about your experience, Robyn! I visited the Anne Frank House when I went to Holland several years ago and I just felt so heartbroken. I cannot even imagine what it would be like to be at Auschwitz. It must have been so difficult to hear and see so many people being so disrespectful there, but I think it says a lot about our society. Sometimes it's easier to just smile and laugh though when you feel uncomfortable or are even unsure of how to feel.

    Melanie
    Lace and Combat Boots | a life + style blog

    ReplyDelete

xo