Monday, 1 April 2013

Bestival Benefit




On the 10th September 2012 I was stuck with great sadness. I had spent the weekend on the Isle of Wight with friends old and new at Bestival, having one of the best weekends of my life. It is always easy to look back on things with rose tinted glasses, but I have never known a group of people to pull together and make everybody feel welcome under their wings as much as the people did around me that weekend.






Awakening on the Isle of Wight at my friend Kim's Mum's flat the day after Bestival, she told us there had been an accident and that we needed to get up. Informing us a bus heading to Liverpool had crashed on its way home and three people had died I felt my heart break. I didn't need any confirmation that it was the bus of the people who had made our weekend so complete. Tears streaming down my face I hugged Kim and immediately went to my phone to find out more. Hours past as we waited with sickening guilt as the names of those who were ok were discovered, and then yet more tears flowed as we found out the names of those who weren't.






Having met and spent the weekend with Michael, Kerry and the rest of the Liverpool Bestival family my heart was shattered for them all. I have never felt such grief for somebody else and cannot imagine how it must have been for those closest. It hasn't been until now, nearly seven months later, that I have actually been able to sit down and write about it. Not for anybody else but for myself, as writing is my way of expressing myself.






In the days that followed the bus crash I read the most warming messages of love for those who had left  far too soon, my eyes welling with each and every one. Powerless to do anything I said 'Thank You' out loud before I went to bed every night and occasionally still do. I don't know why I do it, maybe it is a thanks for every day I am blessed with, a thank you to opening my eyes to live my life each and every day just the way I want it to be, a thank you for all the wonderful memories and people I have in my life.


You are probably wondering why I am writing this. The truth is I wanted to share with you Michael Molloy's beautiful song 'Rise & Fall' as he is no longer here to do it himself. This weekend Rob Da Bank (curator of Bestival) put on Bestival Benefit at Nation in Liverpool as a remembrance of Michael, Kerry and Colin. The night was also for Zach who suffered serious injury in the crash. The proceeds of the night will be split between his treatment and the families of those who didn't make it home.

It was an amazing night and I hope we all did you proud.

Alex Evans played 'Rise & Fall' live after a some emotional speeches and I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. Hugging my friend Jo we both wept and smiled along with everybody else. I have never felt so much heart-ache and love in one room in my life and it was a moment I shall always remember. 'Rise & Fall' is currently available for pre-order from iTunes HERE. So many people were affected by this tragic accident and seeing this song in success would make a lot of people smile. 






I'd just like to also thank Rob Da Bank and everybody involved in putting on the Bestival Benefit. Thank you for giving us a place to remember and pay our respects, for giving us another night of Bestival heaven. I would also like to thank everybody who was there that weekend for making it the time of our lives, thank you to everybody I hugged, smiled with and danced with on Saturday night. Thank you.

R x


5 comments:

  1. Oh gorgeous <3
    I hope you're all right - it's really sad, yet it's so lovely that you all got together to remember them.
    That song is absolutely beautiful too,

    Love you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Robyn this is heartbreaking. I send you and everyone my love.... The song is beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs to you. I'm glad you got to go to this benefit and I hope it's helped getting this out.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this sweet piece. It's a bit of an antidote to the way we're kind of encouraged to accept road deaths as somehow normal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm so sorry to hear about the bus crash, what a tragic thing to happen, especially to people who are so young. the benefit sounds like a wonderful way to honour them.

    ReplyDelete

xo