Friday, 18 May 2012

West Coast Road Trip 2012: LA

Photobucket Photobucket 

After travelling from Coachella to our hostel in LA we were greeted with a delicious and much needed free dinner of burgers and beer. Despite arriving much earlier in the day than we thought we would, we just chilled at the hostel all evening and got an early night for the next day. If you are ever staying in LA and need a hostel I really would recommend where we stayed, Banana Bungalow. It is a great little place with friendly staff and a lovely atmosphere.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Waking up on a Tuesday morning I shuffled around the hostel to find the cake and candles I had sneakily bought the day before. Our first full day in LA was in fact Jen's 23rd Birthday. I can't think of a better place to have a birthday, and we certainly celebrated it in style. As it was Jen's birthday she had free pick of what we got up to, so tattoo's, Venice Beach and then plenty of alcohol kept us more than entertained.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

The vibe at Venice beach was brilliant, I also found $28 in the sand so I guess I am a little biased. There were some freaky characters lining the broadway but the skating scene was so good I think I can forgive that. As you can see I got a green skull and cross bones wearing a top hat tattooed above my elbow on the back on my arm. It is quite possibly the worlds best/worst/most ridiculous tattoo ever but I absolutely love and it will always remind me of one of my favourite days of life spent in LA. Also absolute lolz at the picture above we called my 'windswept goth tourist' look.

Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

Quite a lot of the next day was spent being hungover and myself being a miserable cow because I had a huge case of festival come down, even LA couldn't cheer me up. That was until we walked up to the Hollywood sign. Having previously spotted it on our drive in (que some lame-ass tears from me) I was desperate to walk right up to it. Driving up to what was essentially a gravel path we decided to take the mountain walk to the top. We were told by a man walking his dog it would take 20minutes. This was lies as two hours later I found myself confronted with this iconic little sign. I am so glad we walked up this way though as there were some fantastic views back over LA, we also got to enjoy the sight of the sun setting over the city on the way back down.

Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Our third day in LA was spent doing what we do best; shopping. Our hostel was located just off the ever so cool Melrose Avenue which is home not only to the likes of Vivienne Westwood, Marc Jacobs and Alexander McQueen but to some amazing vintage shops too. Starting at the expensive end we had a mooch about and touched things we could never afford. After a while I even plucked up the courage to go in the Alexander McQueen shop, to think that some of the dresses are the most expensive things I have touched that aren't a car or a house is a bit mad.

We also explored the vintage shops and found ourselves yet more gems to take home with us. However we over stayed our car park welcome and managed to bag ourselves a $58 parking fine - oops! We decided that the only way to deal with this was to have ourselves plenty of wine that evening in the most gorgeous little place called Vinoteque, also on Melrose.

Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket

With yet another hangover, out last day in LA was spent chilling. Jen got her second tattoo of the trip, an amazing Sailor Jerry style pin up on her thigh that was done at an amazing studio called Freak Chic on Melrose. Her artist recommended us a bar called Dark Room, also on Melrose, which we loved. As you can see above it was decked out with really cool black booths and also had a jukebox and delicious food and drinks. We later on headed down Hollywood Boulevard to find somewhere to dance. This is nearly impossible in America as they don't really 'do' clubs like we do, either that or they just can't dance. However we ended up in Kings and Angels which we later found out is owned by Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy fame. The bar was free in and attracted quite an interesting crowd with good tunes. 

When people say LA is chilled out, they really are not joking. It is such an amazing city with two completely different sides to it. I loved everything on Melrose and Venice Beach too, however would have loved to explore other areas as well. I can foresee myself returning to LA one day in the not so distant future. I hope this post wasn't too long! 

Next time: San Diego

R x

15 comments:

  1. I love LA, I'm moving out there in September!
    Your tattoo is actually fab in my opinion, so fun :P
    Glad you had a good time.

    http://avatallulah.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so jealous of you! Ahh thank you, I love it too x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. we're in desperate need of a catch up! :)

      Delete
  3. Great photos! Hope you had a great time! Venice is awesome xx

    {Satin&Souffles}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you did these posts :)
    Absolutely amazing, Robyn!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow must have been A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!! Can't even get myself to Glastonbury :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to glastonbury, I would absolutely love too x

      Delete
  6. Great pictures, looks like you've had a lot of fun.
    I like your hairstyle a lot xx

    Please drop by some time (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had the best time ever! On my way over :) x

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love LA, and i'm super jealous that you went to Cochella too! Plus, i have almost that exact same pic of the Venice sign x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was desperate to get a snap underneath it but was too much traffic!

      Delete

xo