Friday, 11 May 2012

We're On Two Wheels, Baby!




Ever since I moved to London two years ago I have had my heart set on owning a vintage, or vintage looking bicycle. While the bus and the tube are perfectly good ways of getting about it was the freedom  of going where I wanted and when, as well as the added health benefits that first attracted me to the idea of getting a bike. I also really liked the idea of owning a way to get about that was all mine, I could take my bicycle to places on little visits like Regents Park and when I was more road smart cycle it to work and such.

As these things go I never had enough spare cash to actually buy a bike, although it would have been cheaper to do so one month and not bother with a travel card (something one of my housemates actually did). Weirdly enough it has been moving back to the countryside which has really made me determined to actually get one again, especially as my birthday is coming up and I could get one as a gift.



After lots of researching I decided that while the ProBike City Discovery (above) is absolutely gorgeous, it's £180 upwards price tag isn't really worth it for a bike that could very well get stolen. It is lovely and has the 7 gears I might need in the countryside, however even here there is crime and I'd be absolutely gutted if it got taken or vandalised

Slightly disheartened I have continued my search and instead fallen for the vintage Raleigh Caprice.


As far as I can tell the Caprice comes in two different types, the first (which I might become the happy owner of tomorrow) has a grey and light pink motif and looks quite retro 1980s. I love the curved frame and little basket on the front, I viewed it today and it is just so cute.



The second is my bicycle of dreams. It ticks all my silly ideas of what a bike should be, white with a vintage frame and flowers, it would also look amazing with a tan wicker basket on the front. This one above is absolutely amazing and exactly what I want however is little far away location wise, if I don't get the more retro one above tomorrow though I may just have to investigate the floral version further.

While looking at bikes I came to think that like everything else, it is the kind of thing that I would quite like to put my own stamp on, especially as cycling has become so cool again. I had a little search about the internet and tried to find some fun accessories to go with my possible new bicycle.




I really want one of these fun bells, I think the Beatles Lonely Hearts Club One is my favourite although am very fond of the Bowie one too! As the Raleigh Caprice tends to come with a basket I am thinking of getting some fake flowers and wrapping them around the wire along the top to make it even prettier, although wicker baskets look so cute. I have also been obsessed with this leopard print helmet for months after I saw a girl with one at a house party in South London, however at £84 I don't think I could spend that much on a hat, especially when it costs more than the bicycle itself.

Have you got a bike, if so which one? And have you found any other cute bicycle accessories?

R x

12 comments:

  1. damn those pics are so cute. i love the baskets with flowers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. every bike should have a wicker basket!

      Delete
  2. your blog is cool .. love goin through ur posts xx

    http://betty-freestylescraps.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, all of these pictures are so lovely ^^. I'm really beginning to miss my Skeppshult bike ;__;. it cost a fortune and sadly i forgot it at our country house -- situated miles from here.. anyway, i hope you find the perfect bike ^^

    xo, L
    http://laserduck.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no that is rubbish! I got the second floral Caprice yesterday - it is love <3

      Delete
  4. Ohh...live the pink bike. *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cute aren't they, I saw a lilac one in Brixton recently. I wonder where they are from?

      Delete

xo