Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Family History: The Queen's Jubilee

PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

 With the Queen's Diamond Jubilee coming up this weekend I thought it might be nice to share a little bit of family history. The pictures above are from the Queen's coronation back in 1953 in a title called Picture Post. The magazine was a commemorative issue that celebrated Queen Elizabeth stepping onto the throne and all the amazing events that happened around it.

At the time my Dads side of the family all lived in Bethnal Green which is in East London. I've always been rather proud of the fact that my family are very London based, at one point we even owned the Salmon and Ball pub that sits above Bethnal Green tube station. I find the pictures of how life used to be so fascinating so thought I would share these images. My Aunty is actually in the magazine, the original copy of this picture is below. How cute are the adverts from way back when too?

Photobucket
Bethnal Green Street Party Events
Photobucket
Left: My Grandma in the black dress with white collar | Right: Street Party
Photobucket
Far Left: Unknown | Three women: My Dad's Auntys
Photobucket
My Aunty (middle) in a street party race event
Photobucket
Left: Street Party | Right: My Aunty dressed up as the Queen for a fancy dress competition

As you can see they held amazing street parties all around London with bunting, tables filled with food and plenty of high spirits and English pride. My family were also recently contacted by ITV to take part in a program about the London street parties, in particular around Bethnal Green for a part of a historical documentary program.

This time around for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee my parents are taking part in a traditional street party that is happening where we live in the countryside. Sadly I am going to be in London all weekend as it is my Birthday tomorrow and I am heading up for Field Day festival and other celebration events. I am not the most patriotic of people but I do quite enjoy being English and I think this weekend is such a good time to celebrate that fact as I think English people don't really care enough about our roots? Anyway I will hopefully be heading to East London to hang out at my friends house for our own little version of a Jubilee party. 

Do you have any plans, or know of anything amazing happening in London over the weekend?

R x

11 comments:

  1. Never realised how beautiful the queen is!
    This is such a lovely post xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing Robyn, I love social history and it's so cool you've got photos of your relatives enjoying the coronation celebrations! I'm also heading to Field Day, seems like lots of bloggers will be there :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the pictures, they are so sweet! Eeee I know, hopefully won't embarrass myself haha x

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. haha was wondering if anybody would notice that!! obviously gay didn't always mean homosexual! x

      Delete
  4. How cool! Love this. Love looking at old photos and hearing about people's family history x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too, I always buy old photos at flea markets etc :)

      Delete
  5. I think I might be going to a street party.Those photos were really interesting. I think people should celebrate more x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you, I think they should too. Have fun at your party :) x

      Delete
  6. How wonderful! Love looking at old photos.. so many mermories to cherish.

    www.wonderfulljessie.blogspot.com

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

xo